1596 Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of King James VI, born at Falkland
Palace (or at Dunfermline, according to other accounts), She later briefly
becomes Queen of Bohemia. Her daughter Sophia, Electress of Hanover, is the
mother of King George I from whom all British monarchs are descended to this
1648 Richard Cameron, Covenanter, said to have been born at
Cameron House, Falkland.
1818 Division of the Commonty of the Lomond Hills.
1821 Professor John Bruce starts building up the Falkland Estate.
1826 Death of Professor Bruce; his niece Margaret Bruce inherits the
1828 Margaret Bruce marries Onesiphorus Tyndall, who becomes the Laird
of Falkland as Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce.
1839 Building starts on the House of Falkland, replacing Nuthill House
1843 The Disruption: the Free Church of Scotland breaks away from the Established Church.
1844 Falkland Free Church built.
1848 Falkland Parish Church built (replacing an older church on the site).
1855 Death of Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce
1869 Death of Margaret Tndall Bruce
1871 Charles Jackson Snr opens the linen factory in Falkland
1872 Education (Scotland) Act establishes a nationwide system of primary schools managed by elected School Boards.
1886 H. H. Asquith elected as Liberal MP for East Fife.
1887 The 3rd Marquess of Bute purchases the Falkland Estate and begins restoring the Palace.
1890 County Councils introduced in Scotland, including Fife.
1891 (Apr) Census: Falkland Parish population 2,471
Death of the 3rd Marquess: he leaves the Falkland estate to his second son, Lord Ninian.
The United Free Church of Scotland formed by a merger of the Free Church of Scotland
and the United Presbyterian Church.
(Jan) Death of Queen Victoria
(Apr) Census: Falkland Parish 2,229
(Aug) Building operations commence on Falkland Floorcloth Company
factory (later known as the linoleum factory).
(Dec) Falkland Town Council agree the Myre may be utilised as a
(Feb) Death of William Wood, factor to the Falkland Estate.
(Dec) George Gavin appointed factor to the Falkland Estate
(acting in this role since Major Wood’s death).
1905 (Jun) House of Falkland leased to Sir John Murray.
1906 (Jun) Lord Ninian married to Hon. Ismay Preston.
(Jan) Handloom weaving finally abandoned.
(Apr) Birth of Ninian Patrick Crichton-Stuart.
(Aug) Lord and Lady Ninian move into House of Falkland.
1908 (Apr) H. H. Asquith (local MP) becomes Prime Minister.
(Aug) Death of Charles Gulland, town clerk.
(Nov) Charles Jackson Jnr elected Provost.
(Dec) Birth of Ismay Catherine Crichton-Stuart
(Feb) Death of Ninian Patrick Crichton-Stuart.
(Dec) General Election: Lord Ninian elected Unionist MP for Cardiff.
1912 (Apr) Sinking of the Titanic.
(Jun) Birth of Claudia Miriam Joanna Crichton-Stuart.
(Jul) Memorial Chapel foundation stone laid.
1914 Outbreak of the Great War.
1915 Battle of Loos: Lord Ninian killed.
1917 Lord Ninian's widow married to Archibald Maule Ramsay
1922 New houses built in Lomond Crescent.
1929 Most of the United Free Church absorbed into the Church of Scotland.
The two Falkland churches are retained for the time being: the existing
Parish Church is now called the Old Charch, and the former UF Church is now
the East Church.
1958 Falkland Road Station closed for passengers
1964 Falkland Road Station closed for freight
1975 Royal Burghs and County Councils abolished: Falkland absorbed into a new district of North East Fife within the Fife region.
1978 First meeting of the Royal Burgh of Falkland and Newton of Falkland Community Council.
1994 Fife region and its districts abolished and replaced by the current Fife Council.
1999 Scottish Pariiament inagurated.
2014 Falkland War Memorial unveiled on Brunton Green.